San Francisco Flagship
Old Navy's first San Francisco flagship was designed in the Pacific Building on the corner of 4th & Market Streets. The concrete building, built in 1907, had such narrow structural bays, that the owner decided to rebuild the building and eliminate every other column to make it more appealing to modern retailers. This resulted in massive structural elements that were a perfect fit for Old Navy's image. Intumescent paint was used in order to leave the structure exposed and meet fire codes.